Lexington County School District Three's schools and offices will be closed April 14-18 for Easter Break.
Please view this page for current school closing information.
IN THE EVENT OF INCLEMENT WEATHER, PLEASE TURN YOUR TELEVISION TO EITHER WLTX-TV OR WIS-TV OR RADIO TO WCOS-FM (97.5) FOR THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION ON DELAYS OR CLOSINGS OF SCHOOLS IN
Procedures Used By the Superintendent for School Closures
- Many time parents and members of the community ask me how and when does the school district make the decision to close schools due to bad weather. This attachment is designed to give you an understanding of the decision making process.
- If at all possible, when power is available at all schools and the main and secondary bus routes are safe, the District will operate its schools. In the event of bad weather, if a delay of the start of school is possible to insure the operation of school, a two hour delay will be implemented. Many times a two hour delay cannot be announced until 6:00 AM of the same morning of the closing because it will not be apparent until 5:00 AM whether or not buses and the schools can operate safely.
- As soon as the Superintendent is aware that weather or operational conditions will prevent the normal operation of schools, notification of staff members, community members, parents, and students will be made as soon as possible. If the weather is of such extreme nature that the Superintendent knows the day prior to the day of bad weather, notification of school closures will occur by no later than 6:00 PM that night. Judy Turner Fox, the District Public Relations Officer, will notify district employees via e-mail and the public via the District’ Internet Web Site www.lex3.k12.sc.us , as well as media outlets (i.e. radio stations and television stations).
- When making the decision to close schools, the Superintendent will seek information from the National Weather Service, South Carolina Highway Patrol, the Midlands Area Superintendents, the District Maintenance Director, the District Bus Supervisor, and Principals. The District Bus Supervisor and some Principals will inspect roads as early as 4:00 AM. The Superintendent will receive information from the South Carolina Highway Patrol Dispatch Center on the condition of the roads by 4:30 AM. In the event that schools are to be closed that day, the Superintendent will notify the District Public Relations Officer of the decision no later than 5:30 AM so that television and radio stations can announce his decision to the public as early as 6:00 AM. Teachers and District Staff Members will be notified via a phone tree by District Office Staff members and Principals by no later than 6:00 AM.
- On all days that schools are closed due to bad weather, after-school programs, athletic programs, extracurricular programs and adult education programs will not operate. In addition, no community activities will be allowed to use Lexington District Three facilities.